We are often asked about the way we run auditions here at Playhouse on the Square. The following is a general summary, but please keep in mind that:
- We post all of our open auditions in the Playbook, which can be found in Friday’s Commercial Appeal.
- At the auditions, you may be asked to read from the script. Sometimes, scripts are available for checkout prior to the auditions. Many times, you will be able to find it at the public library.
- You may be required to prepare a monologue.
- You may be asked to sing if auditioning for a musical. In this case, you should have 16 bars of a song prepared. You will also need to bring sheet music. Sheet music can be found at almost any music store or at the public library.
- There may be minor choreography involved. Please dress comfortably so that you are able to move freely.
- It is a good idea to bring a headshot and resume if you have one. If not, a recent photo will help us remember your face.
- You will fill out an audition sheet upon your arrival. We will need basic information about you such as what type of experience or training you have had, and your contact information in case you are called back or chosen for a role.
- Most of our auditions are open to everyone regardless of their experience.
For more information, contact Courtney Oliver at (901) 725-0776 or firstname.lastname@example.org
ANNOUNCING AUDITIONS FOR SMOKEY JOE’S CAFE:
Based on the songs of the team Jerry Lieber and Mike Stoller, Smokey Joe’s Café is a musical revue celebrating rock and roll in the 50’s and 60’s. The cast consists of 9 singer/dancers and will include 5 men and 4 women. All cast members will be featured as soloists and be part of duets and group numbers.
-Smokey Joe’s Cafe is Directed and Choreographed by Resident Company Member Daniel Stuart Nelson and Music Directed by Jason Eschhofen.
-The roles of Pattie, DeLee, and Michael have already been cast by members of our Associate and Resident Company.
BRENDA– Savvy, sexy, and smart; strong dance ability, sultry/jazzy belt and mix. Vocal styling like Brenda Lee and at times Jayne Mansfield. (Audition Song: Don Juan)
BJ– Huge gospel voice, belts and mixes; vocal styling like Big Mama Thornton or Aretha Franklin. (Audition Song: Fools Fall in Love – Reprise)
THE QUARTET: KEN, ADRIAN, VICTOR, FRED– Smooth, funny, high energy performers; must move well. Vocal styling like The Drifters and The Coasters. (Audition Song: Treat Me Nice)
– Please prepare and record a vocal selection for one of the roles above. If you would like to be considered for both Brenda and BJ please submit both selections.
– CLICK HERE FOR AUDITION MATERIALS (Sheet Music, Backing Tracks, and Audition Form)
– Please video yourself from the waist up in a brightly lit room so we can see you! The easiest ways to share video files are to upload a .mov or .mp4 file to a file-sharing site (Google Drive or Dropbox) or to YouTube as an unlisted video and send us the link. Video resolution must be at least 720p (1080p preferred).
– Please submit video(s) AND completed audition form to Courtney Oliver at email@example.com by Thursday, October 1st!
– Additional socially distant callbacks for the QUARTET will be held on Sunday, October 4th at 6pm at Playhouse on the Square. Those needed for an in person callback will be notified via email by 5PM on Friday, October 2nd.