We are often asked about the way we run auditions here at Playhouse on the Square. The following is a general summary, but please keep in mind that:
- We post all of our open auditions in the Playbook, which can be found in Friday’s Commercial Appeal.
- At the auditions, you may be asked to read from the script. Sometimes, scripts are available for checkout prior to the auditions. Many times, you will be able to find it at the public library.
- You may be required to prepare a monologue.
- You may be asked to sing if auditioning for a musical. In this case, you should have 16 bars of a song prepared. You will also need to bring sheet music. Sheet music can be found at almost any music store or at the public library.
- There may be minor choreography involved. Please dress comfortably so that you are able to move freely.
- It is a good idea to bring a headshot and resume if you have one. If not, a recent photo will help us remember your face.
- You will fill out an audition sheet upon your arrival. We will need basic information about you such as what type of experience or training you have had, and your contact information in case you are called back or chosen for a role.
- Most of our auditions are open to everyone regardless of their experience.
For more information, contact Courtney Oliver at (901) 725-0776 or firstname.lastname@example.org
ANNOUNCING – Joint Auditions for 9 TO 5 and HEATHERS
9 to 5 is Directed & Choreographed by New York Guest Artist Gary John La Rosa (next to normal; Les Miserables) with Music Direction by Nathan McHenry. 9 to 5 runs at Playhouse on the Square August 11 – September 3. Rehearsals begin July 11th.
Heathers is Directed & Choreographed by Resident Company Member Courtney Oliver (Carrie; The Great American Trailer Park Musical) with Music Direction by Nathan McHenry. Heathers runs at The Circuit Playhouse October 6 – 29. Rehearsals begin August 29th.
*The audition form will allow auditionees to indicate which shows they would like to be considered for.
WHEN: Singing Auditions: Saturday March 25 1-4pm; Monday March 27 6-7:30pm. Dance Auditions: Saturday March 25, 4-5pm by invitation only. Callbacks: Monday March 27, 7:30-10pm. (Possible Cold Reading Callbacks on Sunday March 26 at 6pm if need be)
WHERE: Playhouse on the Square, 66 South Cooper, 38104 – Sign-In Main Lobby
CASTING: Both Shows are casting Male and Female Actor/Singers Ages 18 and Up. All ethnicities highly encouraged to attend. 9 to 5 is Casting 1 Young Male (Strong Actor) to look 15-18. 9 to 5 cast also requires a lot of mature performers, as many of the leads and supporting roles are 30-50 years old. Heathers requires a younger cast of adults to play high schoolers, though there are 2 Males Ages 30-50 and 1 Female Ages 30-50.
For a full character breakdown of 9 to 5, click HERE
For a full character breakdown of Heathers, click HERE
PLEASE NOTE – The role of Veronica Sawyer in Heathers has been filled by Resident Company Members Brooke Papritz. Other roles – Ensemble or Featured – in both shows will be filled by the 8 members of our 2017-18 Associate Company, however all roles other than Veronica Sawyer are currently open for auditionees.
WHAT TO PREPARE: Please prepare 32 bars of a contemporary show tune in the style of the show(s) you are auditioning for or something from the show(s) themselves. (Dolly Parton is the composer of 9 to 5, Laurence O’Keefe and Kevin Murphy are the composers of Heathers). The dance call will be given for both shows simultaneously. Please bring a headshot and resume stapled together (if you have them).
AUDITION TIME SLOTS: To best utilize your time, we have implemented time slots. To sign up for a time slot, please email Courtney Oliver at email@example.com specifying which day and approximate time you are interested in.