We are often asked about the way we run auditions here at Playhouse on the Square. The following is a general summary, but please keep in mind that:
- At the auditions, you may be asked to read from the script. Sometimes, scripts are available for checkout prior to the auditions. Many times, you will be able to find it at the public library.
- You may be required to prepare a monologue.
- You may be asked to sing if auditioning for a musical. In this case, you should have 16 bars of a song prepared. You will also need to bring sheet music. Sheet music can be found at almost any music store or at the public library.
- There may be minor choreography involved. Please dress comfortably so that you are able to move freely.
- It is a good idea to bring a headshot and resume if you have one. If not, a recent photo will help us remember your face.
- You will fill out an audition sheet upon your arrival. We will need basic information about you such as what type of experience or training you have had, and your contact information in case you are called back or chosen for a role.
- Most of our auditions are open to everyone regardless of their experience.
For more information, contact Courtney Oliver at (901) 725-0776 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Typical Rehearsal and Performance schedule for our shows:
Tuesday–Friday: 2:00-5:00 and 6:00-10:00
Dress Rehearsals are from 6:00-11:00 the week leading to opening.
Thursday–Saturday at 8 PM
Sunday at 2 PM
*If a performer has more than 3 evening or weekend conflicts with the rehearsal schedule they must make special arrangements with the director and production manager.
*MUSICIANS – If any musician is interested in playing in the band for one of our musical productions, please contact Music Director, Nathan McHenry at email@example.com
ANNOUNCING AUDITIONS FOR MEMPHIS
WHEN: Monday, September 9, 6pm
WHERE: Playhouse on the Square, 66 South Cooper St 38104. Check in in the Main Lobby
CASTING: Singer/Dancers Ages 18 and Up. All gender and ethnicities welcome. This production calls for a strong African-American cast, though there are roles for all ethnicities. *PLEASE NOTE – The role of Huey Calhoun has been filled by Resident Company Member Nathan McHenry. Other roles may be filled by members of our Resident or Associate Company.
WHAT TO PREPARE: Please prepare 16-32 bars of a musical theatre song. Please bring sheet music for an accompaniment. Please bring a headshot and resume if possible. Some people may be asked to stay to dance so please bring clothes you will be comfortable moving in.
Memphis Is Directed and Choreographed by Jordan Nichols and Travis Bradley, with Music Direction by Angelo Rapan. The show begins rehearsals in early December and runs at Playhouse on the Square January 17 – February 8, 2020.
**To make the auditions run the smoothest and most organized for you, we will be seeing people in 5 minute time slots from 6-8pm. To sign up for an audition time slot, please email Courtney Oliver at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ANNOUNCING AUDITIONS FOR OUR TEENS ‘N THEATRE PRODUCTION OF “HEROES, GODS & MONSTERS”
Where: Playhouse on the Square, 66 South Cooper Street, 38104
When: Saturday August 31st, 2pm. Doors will open at 1:30pm.
Casting: Actors, dancers, and singers for an original show that will incorporate storytelling, movement, and found object theatre. Ages 12-17
What to Prepare: Auditionees will read excerpts from the script and short stories. Looking for actors who can tell a story. A portion of the audition will require movement and improvisation.Dress comfortably in clothes that you can move in. Tennis shoes or jazz shoes preferred. Please do not wear sandals or flip flops. Please bring a headshot and resume if you have one or a school photo if you do not.
Rehearsals: Begin Tuesday September 17 and are tentatively scheduled Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings 6-8pm, Saturdays 3-6pm, and Sundays 2-5pm **No rehearsals during Fall Break**
Performances: November 8-17 at Theatreworks at the Square
Heroes, Gods, & Monsters is created and directed by Jason Gerhard, Assistant Director of Theatre Education. For more information please email Jason at email@example.com