QUEER ON!: A NEW WORKS IN QUEER YOUTH THEATRE COMPETITION
Q&A at Playhouse on the Square is accepting scripts for Queer On!, a New Works Competition focusing on Queer Youth Theatre. In its first year, Queer On! will accept ten-minute plays/pieces for review. A panel of Queer Youth Theatre facilitators and participants will review all submitted scripts and select nine scripts as finalists to receive staged readings during the summer of 2016. After the nine readings have been presented, Q&A at Playhouse on the Square will select three that will receive a fully-staged production (with minimal technical elements) performed by Q&A in the spring of 2017. Submissions must be postmarked by April 30, 2016.
Along with these fully-staged productions, the three winning works will each be awarded a prize of $50.
There is a $5 entry fee per submission. Playhouse on the Square accepts cash, check, and money order.
Q&A is a theatre troupe for LGBTQ and straight allied youth ages 14-21. Q&A uses theatre to explore and express what life is like as an LGBTQ or straight allied youth in Memphis and the surrounding area. No prior theatrical experience is necessary. We are a supportive community working toward a common goal. Q&A is a member organization of the Pride Youth Theater Alliance, a growing network of Queer Youth Theatres. Q&A is an Education Program of Playhouse on the Square.
About Playhouse on the Square:
Playhouse on the Square is Memphis’ only professional resident theatre. Now in its 47th season, Playhouse on the Square remains committed to its mission to produce a challenging and diverse repertoire of theatrical work, to provide a nurturing artistic home where artists can practice their craft and share their talent, and to make all productions available through access, outreach, and education. For more information, visit www.playhouseonthesquare.org or call 901-725-0776.
Assistant Director of Theatre Education
Playhouse on the Square
Queer On! Submission Guidelines
For consideration in Queer On!, playwrights should submit the following:
- Cover letter
- Playwright’s bio/resume
- Performance/reading history of the script
- Brief synopsis of the script
- $5 entry fee
See Criteria for Entry for script formatting guidelines.
Scripts, along with the above materials, must be submitted physically. To submit a physical entry, please send it to the address below:
c/o Carly Crawford
Playhouse on the Square
66 S. Cooper
Memphis, TN 38104
Queer On! Criteria for Entry
The following outlines the guidelines and rules for the competition:
- The submission must be written in the English language.
- The submission must be an original, unpublished play.
- The submission may be an adaptation, so long as the playwright provides proof that the original author has agreed to their adaptation of the work or the work is in the public domain.
- The submission must consider LGBTQ themes, issues, or stories.
- The submission must be written for performance by a youth cast (ages 13-24).
- The submission must begin with a title page that includes the work’s name and the playwright’s name, address, telephone number, and email. There should also include a character list and scene breakdown if applicable.
- Submissions that have been previously published or produced in their entirety in their current state will not be accepted. A play that is scheduled for a professional production at the time of submission will also not be accepted.
- The manuscript must be easy to read. It must be typed in no less than 12-point type and be page numbered.
- The script may have more than one author.
- There will be no revisions accepted once a script has been submitted. Revised plays that have been previously submitted to the competition may be submitted again.
- We will notify the playwrights whose plays have been selected for readings. The plays selected for readings will be announced on our website.
- In order to qualify for the 2016 competition, the script must be submitted no later than April 30, 2016.
- We will acknowledge receipt of the manuscript through email. No manuscripts will be returned. Do not send the only copy of a manuscript.
For questions, contact Carly Crawford, Assistant Director of Theatre Education, at firstname.lastname@example.org