The six finalists for the 2015 NewWorks@TheWorks Playwriting Competition have been selected! The following plays will receive staged readings at Playhouse on the Square:
SMOKE by Gloria Bond Clunie
“When Ora meets the mysterious Wallace Johnson, love, promises, and secrets collide with small town southern politics in one sizzling, tumultuous summer in 1965!”
READING DATE – September 27th, 7:00 PM @ Playhouse on the Square
Other People’s Happiness by Adam Seidel
“After 30 years of marriage, Sara tells John that she is leaving him for one of her grad students. A play about the redefining of family and the enduring nature of love.”
READING DATE – September 28th, 7:00 PM @ Playhouse on the Square
The Last of the Daytons by Diane Grant
“The Biddles might seem strange. Not many people talk to invisible friends, escape from hospitals, or collect epitaphs. But, this family has found a way to cope with its past.”
READING DATE – October 11th, 7:00 PM @ The Circuit Playhouse
Futurama by Samantha Charlip
“A self-improvement workshop at a second-rate amusement park forces two park employees to overcome debilitating emotional paralysis and attempt to move on.”
READING DATE- October 12th, 7:00 PM @ The Circuit Playhouse
The Baby Game by Michele Aldin Kushner
“Two couples – one gay, one straight – are desperate to be parents. Each couple is promised the same baby. What ensues is an emotional battle for the unborn child.”
READING DATE- October 18th, 7:00 PM @ The Circuit Playhouse
Victory Blues by Alan Brody
“1946. The war is over. Three couples in Brooklyn look forward to a normal life again. However, adjustments must be made in this time of victory.”
READING DATE– October 19th, 7:00 PM @ The Circuit Playhouse
Admission for staged readings is $10. To purchase, call 901-726-4656 or click here.
The NewWorks@TheWorks Competition is sponsored by Sue and Frank Guarino, Dorothy O. Kirsch, and Jeramie Simmons.
For questions about NewWorks@TheWorks, contact Jordan Nichols at Jordan@playhouseonthesquare.org.
Playhouse on the Square is accepting scripts for the 3rd Annual “NewWorks@TheWorks” Competition. A panel of local directors, actors, and designers will review all submitted scripts and select six to receive staged readings during the 2015-16 season. After the six readings have been presented, Playhouse on the Square will select two that will receive full productions during the 2016-17 Season. These two new works will receive world premieres at Playhouse’s third performance space, TheatreWorks.
Along with these fully mounted productions, the two winning works will each be awarded a prize of $500.
There is a $15 entry fee for the competition, which must be paid along with the submitted script. PLEASE NOTE – Members of the Dramatists Guild need only pay $10. Only check and money order will be accepted. Any script submitted without the entry fee will not be considered.
The following outlines the guidelines and rules for the 2015-16 competition:
- The submission must be written in the English Language.
- The submission must be an original, full-length play or musical that is unpublished.
- The submission must begin with a title page that includes the work’s name and the playwright’s name, address, telephone number, and email. There should also include a character list and scene breakdown if applicable. NOTE* If submitting a musical please include a score and demo.
- Submissions that have been previously produced or published will not be accepted. A play that is scheduled for a professional production at the time of submission will also not be accepted.
- The manuscript must be easy to read. It must be typed in no less that 12-point type and page numbered.
- The cast for the play or musical must be limited to no more than 10.
- The script may have more than one author. Also, the playwright(s) may include a brief biography, but it is not necessary.
- Each playwright is limited to one submission per year. There will be no revisions accepted once a script has been submitted. Revised plays that have been previously submitted to the competition may be submitted again.
- There will be no written or oral critique given on scripts submitted. We will notify the playwrights whose plays have been selected for readings. The six plays selected for readings will be announced on our website.
- Please send the manuscript to Playhouse on the Square, New Works Competition, 66 S. Cooper, Memphis, TN 38104
- In order to qualify for the 2015-2016 competition, the script must be submitted no earlier than January 1, 2015 and must be post marked no later than May 30, 2015.
- Please include a self-addressed, stamped postcard for receipt of the manuscript to be acknowledged. Also include a self-addressed, stamped envelope for the play to be returned, should it not be selected for the competition. Any play without a self-addressed, stamped envelope will be recycled if not selected for the competition.
- Do not send the only copy of a manuscript. All scripts will be handled with care, but Playhouse on the Square will not be responsible for any loss or damage to your manuscript.
For questions, contact Jordan Nichols, Director of New Works, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Playhouse on the Square
Playhouse on the Square is Memphis’ only professional resident theatre. Now in its 44th season, Playhouse on the Square remains committed to its mission to produce a challenging and diverse repertoire of theatrical work, to provide a nurturing artistic home where artists can practice their craft and share their talent, and to make all productions available through access, outreach, & education. For more information, visit www.playhouseonthesquare.org or call 901-725-0776.
Looking for other ways to get involved with NewWorks@TheWorks? Click here!