Playhouse on the Square, now in its 47th Season, is accepting scripts for the 4th Annual “NewWorks@TheWorks” Competition. A panel of local directors, actors, and designers will review all submitted scripts and select six to receive staged readings during the 2016 – 17 season. After the six readings have been presented, Playhouse on the Square will select two that will receive full productions during the 2017 – 18 Season. These two new works will receive world premieres at Playhouse on the Square’s third performance space, TheatreWorks.
Along with these fully mounted productions, the two winning works will each be awarded a prize of $750.
There is a $15 entry fee for the competition which must be paid along with the submitted script. PLEASE NOTE – Members of the Dramatists Guild need only pay $10. Only check or money order will be accepted. Any script submitted without the entry fee will not be considered.
The following outlines the guidelines and rules for the 2016 – 17 competition:
- The submission must be written in the English Language.
- The submission must be an original, full-length play or musical that is unpublished.
- The submission must begin with a title page that includes the work’s name and the playwright’s name, address, telephone number, and email. Also include a character list and scene breakdown if applicable. NOTE* If submitting a musical please, include a score and demo.
- Submissions that have been previously produced or published will not be accepted. A play that is scheduled for a professional production at the time of submission will also not be accepted.
- The manuscript must be easy to read. It must be typed in no less that 12-point type and page numbered.
- The cast for the play or musical must be limited to no more than 10.
- The script may have more than one author. Also, the playwright(s) may include a brief biography, but it is not necessary.
- Each playwright is limited to one submission per year. There will be no revisions accepted once a script has been submitted. Revised plays that have been previously submitted to the competition may be submitted again.
- There will be no written or oral critique given on scripts submitted. We will notify the playwrights whose plays have been selected for readings. The six plays selected for readings will be announced on our website.
- Please send the manuscript to Playhouse on the Square, New Works Competition, 66 S. Cooper St., Memphis, TN 38104
- In order to qualify for the 2016 – 2017 competition, the script must be submitted no earlier than January 1, 2016 and must be post marked no later than May 30, 2016.
- Please include a self-addressed, stamped postcard for receipt of the manuscript to be acknowledged. Also include a self-addressed, stamped envelope for the play to be returned, should it not be selected for the competition. Any play without a self-addressed, stamped envelope will be recycled if not selected for the competition.
- Do not send the only copy of a manuscript. All scripts will be handled with care, but Playhouse on the Square will not be responsible for any loss or damage to your manuscript.
For questions, contact Jordan Nichols, Director of New Works, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Playhouse on the Square
Playhouse on the Square is Memphis’ only professional resident theatre. Now in its 47th season, Playhouse on the Square remains committed to its mission to produce a challenging and diverse repertoire of theatrical work, to provide a nurturing artistic home where artists can practice their craft and share their talent, and to make all productions available through access, outreach, & education. For more information, visit www.playhouseonthesquare.org or call 901-725-0776.
Looking for other ways to get involved with NewWorks@TheWorks? Click here!